Cook time55 minutes
ServingsMakes 1 loaf
- 2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Baking Soda
- 2 tsp of Salt (I use coarse kosher salt, if using fine salt, use just 1 tsp)
- 4 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 1/3 cup of Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of Molasses (unsulphured)
- 2 Tbsp of Old Fashioned Oats, optional
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a cast iron skillet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, add both kinds of flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and butter. Mix with a paddle attachment until the butter is evenly distributed throughout into small pieces.
3) In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk and molasses, then pour into the dry ingredients and knead until a dough forms (mixture will be slightly tacky) pull together into a dosh, place in your prepared skillet, score a cross on the top, brush whatever bit of buttermilk is left in the bowl and sprinkle the oats over the top.
4) Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes or until deeply golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Allow to cool before serving.
Report a problem